Interpretation is the oral translation of speech, from a source language into the target language, as it happens. It is the interpreter’s job to accurately and objectively translate an oral or sign language into another language, to facilitate communication between the speaker and the listener using different languages. Interpreters play a critical role in helping people connect and communicate with accuracy.
Interpreting services are used in a wide range of settings, from international meetings, conferences, training sessions, interviews, to mediations, court hearings, community education, film shoots, other group situations and many other scenarios.
The Portuguese Language
Portuguese belongs to the West Romance family of languages. It is the sole official language of Portugal, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, Angola and São Tomé and Príncipe, and, is the co-official language in East Timor, Equatorial Guinea and Macau in China. Other widely spoken Western Romance languages are Spanish, French and Catalan. Portuguese is regarded as the sixth most spoken native language in the world and the most spoken language in South America. Besides the above mentioned countries Portuguese is also spoken by immigrant population in many countries such as, Andorra, Bermuda, Canada, France, Japan, Jersey, Namibia, Paraguay, Macau, Switzerland, Venezuela and United States.
While selecting the interpretation equipment following factors should be taken into consideration:
- Size of the room and number of attendees.
- Location of the meeting, whether the meeting is held inside or outside.
- Will the interpreting equipment be installed permanently or will it be removed after a specific meeting and transferred to another location.
- Are there any security norms with respect to the conversations that require translation.
- The number of target languages for which the translation is required.
Types of Interpreting services
- Simultaneous Interpretation
- Consecutive Interpretation
- Whispered Interpreting
- Conference interpreting
- Court interpreting
- Medical interpreting
- Community interpreting
- Business meeting interpreting
- Media & film interpreting
- Telephone Interpreting
- Liaison or bilateral Interpreting